Hugs for Macintosh 2001/10/12

Hans Aberg haberg@matematik.su.se
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 00:39:56 +0200

I made an update to the version that I and Pablo Azero used to develop; it
is at
  http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/Computer/Hugs98Feb2001MacBin20011012.sit
The sources I used to compile these, using Metrowerks CodeWarrior Pro 5 are at
  http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/Computer/Hugs98Feb2001MacSrc20011012.sit
If somebody is willing to put this stuff up elsewhere, please let me know.

As hinted, I do not develop this one anymore, and I do not think that Pablo
has time for that either. This is essentially an version I made the last
fall (2000), updated to use the Hugs Feb 2001 kernel. It was just an
experiment, so try it out as is (but I do not think there should be any
problems).

I think people would be better off to get hold of MacOS X, and use a
version using its BSD shells. If somebody is interested in making a GUI or
a version capable of handling AppleEvent's, that should be under MacOS X I
think, and not building on the current version.

The (main) differences from the previous versions are:
- It uses the Feb 2001 Hugs kernel.
- One can now drop files onto Hugs when it is up and running. -- I removed
the DropUNIX package and implemented AppleEvent's directly instead.
- Both MacOS '\r' and UNIX '\n' are accepted as newlines when reading
files. (The DOS newline, which uses both control characters, will be read
as two newlines.)
- There is an experimental package for sending and receiving AppleEvent's.
If you do not use this feature, it should not be a bother to you.

  Hans Aberg