ANNOUNCE: Hugs98 Christmas release

Johan Nordlander nordland@cse.ogi.edu
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 11:11:15 -0800

__   __ __  __  ____   ___
||   || ||  || ||  || ||__      Hugs 98: Based on the Haskell 98
standard
||___|| ||__|| ||__||  __||     Copyright (c) 1994-2001
||---||         ___||           World Wide Web: http://haskell.org/hugs
||   ||                         Report bugs to: hugs-bugs@haskell.org
||   || Version: Dec
2001       _________________________________________

    We are pleased to announce a new release of Hugs98, a Haskell
    interpreter and programming environment for developing cool Haskell
    programs.  Sources and binaries are freely available on the
    World-Wide Web.

    The most important features of this new release are:

    - The incompatibilities between Hugs and the Haskell Graphics Library
      have been fixed, and binaries for the HGL are now available on the
      Hugs download page.

    - The missing standard libraries Directory, CPUTime, Time and Locale
      have been added along with a complete implementation of
Haskell98 IO.

    - Hugs is now delivered with most of the hslibs libraries installed
      in the lib/exts/ directory.  The added modules cover the Edison,
      Parsec, HaXml, QuickCheck, concurrent, monad, and html
subdirectories
      of hslibs.

    - The :set option now refuses the user to set a module search path
      that doesn't contain the Prelude. This is to protect users from
      accidentally rendering their Hugs setups unusable, esp. so on
      Windows machines where the options are persisted to the Registry.

    - MacOS X is now one of the supported unix ports, with pre-built
      binaries available on the download page.

    - Experimental support is provided for hierarchical module names,
      where a module name A.B.C is mapped onto the file path
      A/B/C{.hs,.lhs} and appended to each of the path prefixes in
      HUGSPATH until the name of a readable file is found.

    Most reported bugs have also been fixed; however, some issues still
    remain.  See the heading "Hugs Bugs & Features" on the Hugs web site
    for further information.

    Send email to hugs-users-request@haskell.org to join the hugs-users