hugs-Linux

D. Tweed tweed@compsci.bristol.ac.uk
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 16:34:30 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 2 Dec 2001, Nathan Swerling wrote:

> wenn i try to run hugs on my suse linux i get the error: cannot load
> shared library libreadline.so.4.1
>
> it seems i need a library component, but where do i get it and how do i
> install it?

try `locate libreadline' to see if you've got anything at all on your
system (generally either /lib/ or /usr/lib). if not, try to find a
libreadline<somepackagingnumberstuff>.rpm on either your suse CDs or on
the net
somewhere. It's a standard library (not anything special to hugs) that's
used by lots of things so it'll be easy to find.

if you do have a libreadline but with a different version no you have the
choice of either trying to install the correct version as above or doing
`the lazy thing that oughtn't to work but sometimes does' of making a
symlink from the version you do have to libreadline.so.4. (and maybe
libreadline.so.4.1 as well): if you do this don't blame me if something
breaks!

If you've actually got the correct version of libreadline and it's in
a standard place (e.g., /lib) then something I don't understand is going
on.

[When I've time I'll try and tidy up the above answer and put it on the
Haskell wiki.]
www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~tweed/|`...heat generated by its microprocessors will
email:tweed@cs.bris.ac.uk|slope upward exponentially, reaching the power
work tel:(0117) 954-5250 |density of a nuclear reactor before 2010'-Intel