[HOpenGL] Important Update: Fold StateVar, ObjectName, and Tensor back into OpenGL

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 00:48:26 CET 2013

I realize this change may be frustrating for some users. I'm sorry about
the inconveniences that it may cause. The positive side is that the Haskell
Platform will be able to upgrade to the latest OpenGL bindings. I think
that makes this disruption worth it.

Then new versions are not yet on hackage, but I'll probably upload them
today.

How this will affect you:
I moved StateVar, ObjectName, and Tensor back into the OpenGL package (and
renamed their modules from Data.* to Graphics.Rendering.OpenGL.GL.*). This
also required a change in the GLUT package. I bumped the version number of
OpenGL to 2.8.* and GLUT to 2.4.*.

The StateVar, Tensor, and ObjectName packages are still on hackage exactly
as they were. So if you're using those they will continue to work except
that GHC will see them as incompatible with the ones exported from
Graphics.Rendering.OpenGL. If this is a problem then I can upload versions
of those packages that are re-exports from OpenGL. The reason I haven't don
that is because then those packages will depend on the OpenGL package and
that seemed like a hassle (correct me if I'm wrong).

On the topic of GLUT, none of the examples explicitly import modules from
StateVar, Tensor, or ObjectName so I didn't bother testing the examples.
Properly testing the examples would be easiest if we had a cabal files for
the examples. Then we could at least test that they build on travis-ci.

Jason