[HOpenGL] Adding infix declaration to StateVar operators

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 00:35:46 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:46 AM, L Corbijn <aspergesoepje at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I've done this and added the package to github [1]. There are
> still some things to do before a release:
>  - Move the repository to the HOpenGL organisation.

Done.

>  - Update several fields in cabal file (bug tracker, owner, etc.)

I have those changes locally, but they are mixed in with a namespace change.

>  - Bump the version number.

I have it locally, going with 1.1.0.0.

> The new version number should probably be 1.0.1.0, but 1.1.0.0 could
> also be correct. The latter would break several packages [2].

I think the right thing is to let the maintainers reupload them. The ones
that will break have not been following the PVP. Breaking other people's
code is not good, but I think this is pretty minor.

I was going to bring up the namespace change, but the more I think about it
the more it seems wrong to me. The current name makes this package
controversial for the Haskell Platform. The reason for having such a
general name is OpenAL and ALUT use the same abstraction. My initial
thought was to move it to Graphics.Rendering.OpenGL.StateVar. Then it's
obviously an OpenGL state variable abstraction. Unfortunately, that doesn't
work will with OpenAL and ALUT using it too.  It also seems bad to have two
different copies of the abstraction in play for people that want to combine
OpenAL and OpenGL.

So I think Sven made the right decision when he separated out the package
and abstracted the namespace. Could we pick a less controversial place in
the namespace?

Reviewing this: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hierarchical_module_names

The closest I can come to better namespaces are these (but, I don't like
them, read on):
System.IO.StateVar
Data.IO.StateVar

Data.IO does not exist yet and System.IO is actually for interacting with
the operating environment (like file manipulation).

I feel like procrastinating more on this namespace change. It just doesn't
feel right and I have no evidence that the HP will take it if I rename it.

I'll finish the other changes and push to the develop branch on
haskell-opengl. I could release it too if others agree it's ready.

Jason