[HOpenGL] Render fonts in HopenGL

Felipe Almeida Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 13:22:18 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Balazs Komuves <bkomuves at gmail.com> wrote:
> The stb-truetype library (http://hackage.haskell.org/package/stb-truetype)
> can rasterize TrueType fonts,
> which then can be rendered with your preferred rendering method. It is
> probably less mature than FTGL,
> but should be easy to compile on windows (simply "cabal install
> stb-truetype" should work, since
> the source of the underlying C library is included in the cabal package, and
> GHC includes a GCC
> disribution).

You can also use cairo [1] and pango [2] from Gtk2Hs [3] for the same
purpose.  Although not as simple to install as stb-truetype, it is
simple enough to install =).  Using both will give you very high
quality i18n text (I don't know about stb-freetype).

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/cairo
[2] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/pango
[3] http://www.haskell.org/gtk2hs/

Cheers!