[HOpenGL] glut and opengl on windows

Sam Martin sam.martin at geomerics.com
Tue Nov 10 08:41:40 EST 2009

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is a FAQ, but I can't find the answer from googling.

I'm trying to get glut and opengl to work on windows. I'm after a setup
that:

-          Uses freeglut (so I can run in ghci easily)

-          Ideally, uses the latest ghc compiler

-          Works!

That last part is where I'm getting stuck. I've tried both a:

-          Clean install of Haskell Platform 2009.2.0.2

o   (fails to locate glut32.dll)

-          Compiling freeglut, and the haskell  glut+opengl packages
from within mingw

o   Compiles, but issues *** Exception: user error (unknown GLUT entry
glutInit) at runtime.

I also found a few tutorials (which helped me compile everything), but
they are all for slightly older versions of the Haskell wrappers now.

What is the best way to get up and running on Windows? Do I have to use
an old version? Is this expected behaviour?

Thanks,

Sam