[HOpenGL] Re: [Haskell-cafe] Decoupling OpenAL/ALUT packages from OpenGL

Balazs Komuves bkomuves at gmail.com
Sun May 3 09:58:56 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Tillmann Vogt <Tillmann.Vogt at rwth-aachen.de
> wrote:

> Now that you mention it. I just looked through haskell hierachical
> libraries and there seems to be no standard data types for vector math. Am I
> getting something wrong or is every library that is using linear algebra
> stuff using its own data types? So if I use a numeric library for matrices
> inside HOpenGL I have to convert around?
>
> I think it would be nice to have data types and functions for dot produkt,
> scalar product, norms, ...
> together with HOpenGL types.
>
> Currently I am trying to embed a triangulation library from a ten year old
> diploma thesis (http://www.dinkla.net/fp/cglib.html) in my libary (I know
> that glu has tesselation). The author has developed a quite big and abstract
> type structure for all sorts of computer graphics algorithms and I didn't
> wanted to copy this into my library just for triangulation. But it is
> reasonable. It could be combined with HOpenGL types to maybe
> Data.VectorMath or Data.LinearAlgebra . I would favour the second.

The problem is, in my opinion, that the design space of linear algebra
libraries is big and complex;
thus I don't think a "canonical" linear algebra library is a good idea.

There are at least 4 linear algebra libraries on Hackage already:

http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/hmatrix
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/vector-space
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/Vec
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/vect

and they are all very different, and I can easily imagine the usefulness of
some more.

Self-advertisement: The last of the above four is designed especially for
graphics use,
in particular with OpenGL; but I'm not really satisfied with its current
state, so feedback
is very welcome!

Balazs