[HOpenGL] noticing freeglut vs not

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Thu Dec 4 12:52:22 EST 2008

Is this still an open issue in FieldTrip? If you look at the online versions
of the files Sven mentioned

    http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/GLUT/include/HsGLUTExt.h
    http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/GLUT/Graphics/UI/GLUT/Extensions.hs

you can see how the dynamic lookup of functions that are only
available in some extensions is handled. Looking at

    http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/GLUT/Graphics/UI/GLUT/Begin.hs

it does seem as if constants and StateVars are not directly protected like
this, but 'actionOnWindowClose' calls 'glutSetOption', which you can see in

    http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/GLUT/Graphics/UI/GLUT/QueryUtils.hs

as just such a dynamic lookup. In case this isn't clear: your code can
simply catch the exception thrown when that dynamic lookup fails,
letting the exception handler pursue an alternative path (since your ticket
recommends commenting out that line, the handler could perhaps just do
nothing in your case, or issue a warning about missing freeglut?).

No change to the GLUT package should be needed, I think.
Claus