[HOpenGL] renderString problems

Dave Tapley dukedave at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 12:30:53 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm having a lot of trouble using renderString from Graphics.UI.GLUT.Fonts.
All my attempts to render a StrokeFont have so far failed.
Using a BitmapFont I can get strings to appear but they demonstrate
the odd behaviour of translating themselves a distance equal to their
length every time my displayCallback function is evaluated.

My requests are:
  * Does anyone know how to keep the position fixed?
  * Are there any good examples of (working) GLUT code available on
the web, I'm finding it very hard to make any progress at the moment.
Certainly not at Haskell speed :(

I am using the following code:

> import Graphics.UI.GLUT
> main = do
>     getArgsAndInitialize
>     createWindow ""
>     displayCallback $= update
>     actionOnWindowClose $= ContinueExectuion
>     mainLoop
>
> update = do
>     clear [ColorBuffer]
>     renderString Fixed8By13 $ "Test string"