[HOpenGL] FW: ghc-6.4.1 on solaris

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Sat Jun 11 09:18:35 EDT 2005

Simon Marlow wrote:
> Christian is having trouble compiling the HOpenGL in GHC 6.4 on Solaris.
> The symptom is a gcc crash when compiling
> Graphics.Rendering.OpenGL.GL.VertexSpec (see attached log).  It fails
> with gcc 4.0.0 and 3.3.6.
>
> Is there anything in that file that might cause gcc trouble, such as
> foreign calls to inline C functions maybe?  Any guesses at a workaround?

I must admit that I am a bit clueless here. Google showed similar problems
in various projects, but I haven't found a cure or the exact reason for this.
Maybe we steal too many SPARC registers? But why does it only happen for this
module? Perhaps Sun has still the bad habit of deviating from the standard
and uses macros instead of function calls for some OpenGL entry points, see
e.g.:

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/805-1015/6j112onu7?a=view
    ftp://docs-pdf.sun.com/805-4445-12/805-4445-12.pdf

Christian: Can you try to hack the Makefile to add -DSUN_OGL_NO_VERTEX_MACROS
to gcc invocations, please? Another test might be using Mesa instead of Sun's
OpenGL.

Cheers,
    S.