[HOpenGL] Compiling HOpenGL under recent versions of GHC

jss at au.mensa.org jss at au.mensa.org
Fri May 21 02:19:16 EDT 2004

Hi ppl,

i thought i would add some comments, being a Gentoo user:

On Wed, 19 May 2004 03:38 am, Andres Loeh wrote:
> I have a ghc-cvs ebuild for personal use which I can share.
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~kosmikus/ghc-cvs-6.3.ebuild
> You can download the ebuild, place it in your local portage overlay,
> for instance in /usr/local/dev-lang/ghc, create a digest, and then
> emerge it to build an up-to-date ghc from cvs.

groovy, ta. I have my own shell scripts as well, to automate the build
process from CVS, but this may make things even easier. The Gentoo
ebuild system is excellent.

> There's a small problem even then:
> Just a few days ago, I wanted to test HOpenGL for something and
> noticed the following (which happens both with the CVS version and
> with 6.2.1):
>
> $ ghci-cvs -package OpenGL
>    ___         ___ _
>   / _ \ /\  /\/ __(_)
>  / /_\// /_/ / /  | |      GHC Interactive, version 6.3, for Haskell 98.
> / /_\\/ __  / /___| |      http://www.haskell.org/ghc/
> \____/\/ /_/\____/|_|      Type :? for help.

> (/usr/lib/libGLU.so: undefined symbol: glPixelStorei)

I recently built GHC CVS on my Gentoo linux and I did have problems
which i think were with the hopengl if i recall correctly.

i also had problems with objectio, either in the snapshot or CVS or both,
but the build was fine when objectio was not enabled.

BUT, the ghc-6.3.20040504 CVS snapshot was OK. It compiles HopenGL
apps fine, eg the glxgears app that was recently posted on this list. I havent
tried running any HopenGL apps with the ghci from that snapshot tho.

It is a shame the Redbook examples have not yet been modified also, to suit
the new GHC package inclusion syntax tho :(

I will run those tests that Svenne suggested and post my results, both for
the ghc-6.3.20040504 CVS snapshot and the latest CVS. But not tonight.

cheers,

John