[HOpenGL] Compiling HOpenGL under recent versions of GHC

Andres Loeh andres at cs.uu.nl
Tue May 18 21:08:25 EDT 2004

> [ I've CC'd to Andres as his function(?) as the GHC Gentoo
> maintainer/packager. ]

>    * Build GHC from the CVS main branch or the nightly snapshots (available
>    at
>      http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/current/dist/). I've got no idea how
>      to do
>      this via the ebuild system, but perhaps Andres Loeh can help. He seems
>      be the maintainer/packager for GHC on Gentoo.

I have a ghc-cvs ebuild for personal use which I can share.

http://dev.gentoo.org/~kosmikus/ghc-cvs-6.3.ebuild

You can download the ebuild, place it in your local portage overlay,
for instance in /usr/local/dev-lang/ghc, create a digest, and then
emerge it to build an up-to-date ghc from cvs.

Please note that I do not officially support this build, so if you
have problems, please do not write bug reports to Gentoo, but ask me
personally.

There's a small problem even then:

Just a few days ago, I wanted to test HOpenGL for something and
noticed the following (which happens both with the CVS version and
with 6.2.1):

$ ghci-cvs -package OpenGL
   ___         ___ _
  / _ \ /\  /\/ __(_)
 / /_\// /_/ / /  | |      GHC Interactive, version 6.3, for Haskell 98.
/ /_\\/ __  / /___| |      http://www.haskell.org/ghc/
\____/\/ /_/\____/|_|      Type :? for help.

(/usr/lib/libGLU.so: undefined symbol: glPixelStorei)

I noticed that a similar problem has been discussed a while ago on the
hopengl mailing list, and according to that thread, I found a
solution, namely to edit ghc's package.conf file and to make sure
that -lGL comes before -lGLU in extra_ld_opts.

However, because it has been discussed before, I am surprised that I
still suffer from this problem. Am I doing something wrong? Is there
something I can do to fix this problem in the ebuild?

Best,
  Andres