[HOpenGL] wxHaskell and OpenGL?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Aug 25 17:56:52 EDT 2004

Patrick Scheibe wrote:

> I'm looking for a GUI for a small programm.
> It will contain some OGL graphics.
>
> My question is: Is there a way to combine opengl with an existing GUI without
> loosing the functionality of GLUT?

What functionality exactly? A few of the GLUT utility routines (e.g.
shapes and text) can be called without initialising GLUT, but the rest
of it can't coexist with any other UI toolkit.

The key issue is that anything which involves event handling won't
work until glutMainLoop() is called, and glutMainLoop() can't coexist
with anything other form of event processing.

> Or is it possible to open a GLUT-window in an other GUI?

No. However, most UI toolkits provide some form of OpenGL "canvas"
widget, and most of these aren't any harder to use than GLUT.

> I've had a closer look at wxhaskell which seems not so difficult to use. But I
> think theres no way to realise window in window idea because they have there
> own implementation of an opengl panel.
>
> If this works in any way, on what GUI should I have a closer look.

What exactly do you want from GLUT?