[HOpenGL] Re: GLUT copyright violation

Sven Panne Sven_Panne@BetaResearch.de
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:52:29 +0100

Ross Paterson wrote:
> That is a delicate way of putting it. It appears that you've used almost
> all of his text.

... as a basis. And that's exactly what should be expected for a library
binding: Either you follow the initial specs exactly or you don't really
do a binding.

> Even though no money is involved, calling this fair use and ignoring his
> notice is quite a stretch.

Well, the amount of work used is of course an issue, but not *the* issue,
see e.g.:

   http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellectualproperty/copypol2.htm#test

I use Mark's published (see 2.) work in a non-profit way (1.), but not
to a small amount (3.). But there is no market for the GLUT docs and
I neither compete with Mark's work nor do I take away royalties from
him (4.). So this *is* a fair use IMO, but IANAL...

And to restate: I do not "simply ignore" Mark's notice, he ignores any
attempt of communication on this issue.

Cheers,
   S.