[HOpenGL] Re: HOpenGL 1.04 and Mac OS X

Sven Panne Sven.Panne@informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Tue, 01 Jul 2003 13:17:25 +0200

[ redirecting to the HOpenGL mailing list, because this might be of
   general interest for Mac users ]

Kevin Fowler wrote:
 > I'm just writing to say that I downloaded & compiled HOpenGL 1.04 on
 > Mac OS X 10.2.6 using GHC 6.0.

Nice to hear! :-)

 > The changes to get it to compile using the X11 version of GLUT were
 > pretty minimal. Most of the demos work and those that don't fail
 > because the OpenGL support isn't there in X11.

Could you send your changes? Perhaps I can make an "ultra-last"
release of the HOpenGL-1.0x series if it is worthwhile. And which demos
fail exactly?

 > Getting it to work with the native ("Cocoa") GLUT included with Mac OS
 > involved a bit more work (specifying frameworks, different
 > headers---GLUT/glut.h mostly, linking against libobjc, etc.) The GLUT
 > and Redbook demos seem to work fine.

Again, the changes would be interesting. Wolfgang Thaller, who seems
to be "Mr. Mac" on this mailing list, has probably done something
similar, so it would be nice to hear from him about HOpenGL 1.04, too.

The interest in Macs seems to be growing since Apple ships a more
"mainstream" OS, but, alas, I don't have access to such a platform.
This means that I depend on other people to get/keep HOpenGL running
there. The current development for HOpenGL happens in the fptools
repository, but I can only test on x86 Linux (SuSE) and WinDoze. Are
there any people on this list building a GHC from CVS on a different
platform (esp. Macs)? If yes, it would be helpful if they could try
using configure's --enable-hopengl option and report on the outcome of
the compilation. fptools/libraries/GLUT/examples contains some simple
examples for testing.

Apart from tweaking some options for the preprocessor and the linker,
fptools/libraries/OpenGL/{include/HsOpenGL.h,cbits/HsOpenGL.c} will
probably need some attention on new platforms. They handle the OpenGL
extension mechanism for GLX (most *nices) and WGL (WinDoze), but
things are different on Macs.

Cheers,
    S.