[HOpenGL] Re: Starting it all over again

John Sincock jss@au.mensa.org
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 08:19:26 +1030

Typical...

Manuel wrote:
> Yeh, I have the same problem, and I have a FULL
> install (all packages). ld can't link any glut calls,
> so there's a Cygwin setup problem. Cygwin Opengl
> package comes with gl, glu, glut headers, glut32.dll,
> and libglui.a libgluix.a. There's no libglut.a. I
> think that OpenGL is required by XWindow, so libGL.a
> and libGLU.a exist in X11R6 lib path. glxgears works,
> so gl works, but glut doesn't.

yes, the listing at
http://www.cygwin.com/packages/opengl/opengl-1.1.0-6
confirms this.. no libglut.a  typical...

maybe this is because the win32 and unix sources for
glut are integrated into the same source tree now and
maybe the glut make process decides to make only a DLL
if you make it on windows, (even under cygwin).

If so, that is pretty annoying... still, the opengl-1.1.0-6-src
ie the SOURCE package, DOES contain all the glut sources,
so why not get this source package and try compiling it,
and try to find out why the rotten thing doesnt produce a
libglut.a

if you cant compile a libglut.a from that source package,
then maybe try downloading the original sources for the
glut, from opengl.org and see if that will compile under
cygwin. If you do use the real openGL glut, when you do
the install, it will not install the headers, just the libglut.a

So you'll have to install the headers yourself. Just go into
the package's include directory and copy the glut.h into
/usr/local/include/GL/ or some such location.

Besides that, I had no problems compiling my glut. it was
simple, and it beats me why cygwin and some other
distribution makers make obtaining a working glut such an
ordeal.

Surely someone on this list has got HOpenGL working
on cygwin.. if so.. maybe they could let the list know where
they got their glut.

John