[HOpenGL] Error installing HOpenGL under Win32

Sven Panne Sven.Panne@informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Sun, 05 Jan 2003 18:07:34 +0100

Manuel Garcia Rodriguez wrote:
 > Sven Panne wrote:
 > > That's a problem with the current Cygwin headers: They are simply
 > > lying, the DLLs under WinDoze only implement OpenGL 1.1 and GLU 1.2.2.
 >
 > Mmm, but I think that my video card drivers replace this files.

That's not the case: The DLL is still 1.1, even in 2003. :-) All cool new
stuff is available only via the OpenGL extension mechanism. As a start
you can read e.g.

    http://www.opengl.org/developers/code/features/OGLextensions/OGLextensions.html

 > I compile and install a module in Mandrake 9.0 for my Radeon 9000 and
 > this is glxinfo output (under Linux):

Linux and most *nices are a bit different in this respect. The OpenGL
libraries are normally 'real' 1.{2,3,4} ones, although the extension
mechanism still works, too.

 > [...] Redbook_C examples work fine. But making Redbook_HS fails:

 > make all - --no-print-directory;
 > in /root/fuentes/HOpenGL-1.03/examples/misc
 > "/usr/bin/ghc" -i../../lib -I../../lib -syslib util -fglasgow-exts
 >  -I/usr/X11R6/include "-#include <GL/glut.h>" -O   -c Info.hs -o Info.o
 > Prologue junk?: .globl __stginit_Main
 > __stginit_Main:
 >         pushl   %ebp
 >         movl    %esp, %ebp

What version of GHC are you using? Upgrading to 5.04.2 could help here.

 > With WinXP + Cygwin + GHC neither C nor HS compile:
 >
 > redbook_HS:
 > h:\DOCUME~1\manuel\CONFIG~1\Temp\ghc1744.hc:844:
 > `GL_UNSIGNED_INT_2_10_10_10_REV' undeclared (first use in this function)

Lying OpenGL headers again...

 > redbook_C:
 > [...]
 > Unable to link any GLUT functions. Maybe GLUT isn't properly installed...

Yes, that seems to be the case. The relevant line from your configure log:

    checking for library containing glutMainLoop... no

I don't know what's wrong with your Cygwin setup. I've installed a fresh
Cygwin a few days ago and everything is fine. I don't have a full
installation, though, only the default stuff + development + graphics, IIRC.

 > GHC for Windows comes with some parts of GCC compiler,
 > and I installed gcc for Cygwin also.

That's OK, the only trouble is that they sometimes see different headers.

 > Please I need some help, I must finish some work this week, Linux or
 > Windows, GHC or Hugs.

Does HOpenGL-1.03 work with your Mandrake Linux? I'm developing on SuSE
Linux, but there shouldn't be any differences.

Cheers,
    S.