[HOpenGL] GLUT and ObjectIO

Sven Panne Sven.Panne@informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Sun, 09 Jun 2002 21:28:49 +0200

Andre W B Furtado wrote:

 > Would it be possible to use ObjectIO with GLUT in order to make my
 > HOpenGL application to provide a larger amount of functionalities?

I haven't tried ObjectIO so far and I'm not even sure if it works on
non-M$ platforms. But I guess it would be hard if OpenGL support is not
already there: Every plane (normal/overlay) in every OpenGL-capable
window needs its own OpenGL state machine (or "OpenGL context"), and for
resource management to work, these must somehow be connected to the
platform's windowing system.  For X11 there's a corresponding
library/protocol (GLX) which handles this stuff, for M$ there's WGL,
etc.  GLUT decouples you from all these issues.  I'm sure one can extend
ObjectIO with OpenGL rendering capabilities, but making it work
cross-platform is non-trivial.

If you need better UI support, try Manuel's GTK+ binding:

    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/gtk/

There's a widget (GtkGLArea) for OpenGL rendering in this binding, too,
but alas bit-rot has taken its toll (=> Manuel: Hint, hint, ... ;-).

 > (Can anyone tell also if this menu feature is provided by newer
 > versions of GLUT, such as 4?)

There is no support for this kind of features and probably there will
never be.

Did you have a look at the following toolkits layered on top of GLUT
and OpenGL?

    http://www.cs.unc.edu/~rademach/glui/
    http://www.opengl.org/developers/code/mjktips/mui/mui.html
    http://plib.sourceforge.net/pui/