[HOpenGL] GL utilities, toolkits, and questions..

Nick Name nick.name@inwind.it
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 22:28:44 +0200

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:10:05 +0200
Sven Panne <Sven.Panne@informatik.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

> The just released GHC 5.04 has spec-conforming FFI support, as does
>  the CVS version of Hugs. NHC98 almost has it IIRC, but I'm not sure
>  about this. Simply ask Malcolm about this.
>
>   > and the FFI spec is stable (they say..).
>
>  Apart from some esoteric features and occasional clarifications the
>  spec is indeed very stable.

Good. BTW I don't think it's a good idea to write bindings for a widget
set, because they're written in C, and could take bugs and segfaults.

Font renderer are far more complicated and I am surely not able to write
them, and besides they require high efficiency.

For widget sets, I think it's better to develop a UI model totally
independent from the graphics library , for example copying that of
Fudgets, or of IHaskell, and then implement it in HOpenGL. Maybe the
implementation should be parametric in respect to the functions used to
draw (we could have "themes" which can change the behavior of the
library).

It's just my humble opinion

Vincenzo