[HOpenGL] Some quick feedback (was ANNOUNCE: HOpenGL 1.02 released)

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:17:01 +0100

> Well, ghci is useful in quick change-compile-test cycles, so I
> think it does make at least some sense.  But I'm not sure
> ghc-pkg does what you say it does.  In hslibs this is handled by
> this rule:
> $(GHCI_LIBRARY) :: $(LIBOBJS)
> 	ld -r -o $@ $(LIBOBJS) $(STUBOBJS)

ghc-pkg (in version 5.03+) will auto-generate the GHCi libs if you give
it the -a option.  We don't use this in hslibs or libraries yet.

> > Hmmm, this doesn't work if there are options different from "-lfoo",
> > which is the case at my site: Configure determines that the options
> > "-L/usr/openwin/lib" and "-R/usr/openwin/lib" must be used=20
> here, too.
>=20
> Firstly, -L and -R should stay in extra_ld_opts.
>=20
> Secondly, it looks like GHCi bug. It should either search=20
> something else
> than just LD_LIBRARY_PATH for .so libraries, or stop complaining about
> unknown symbols in hs_libraries. In any case, this is for ghc people.

I must have missed the problem - what actually is going wrong?  GHCi
looks in several places (not just LD_LIBRARY_PATH) for .so libraries.
What is the -R option for?  The gcc manual doesn't list it, and the ld
manual says it takes a filename, not a directory.

Cheers,
	Simon