[HOpenGL] Some quick feedback (was ANNOUNCE: HOpenGL 1.02 released)

Sven Panne Sven_Panne@BetaResearch.de
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:18:22 +0200

[ Forwarded to cvs-ghc, too, because of the first bug ]

anatoli wrote:
> I'm on Solaris 2.6, GHC 5.02.3.
> Thank you for good work! Some quick notes:
>
> 1. examples/redbook_HS/Clip dumps core :(

A quick look with ddd revealed that GHC's RTS has a bug in alloca
resp. allocaBytes: It must return a pointer with the *strictest*
alignment, which is 8 bytes on SPARC for 64-bit integrals/floats.
Currently, the returned pointer has only an alignment of 4 bytes.
:-(

> 2. ghci -package HOpenGL doesn't work as shipped,
>    but I've managed to make it work.
>    First, ghci seems to need HOpenGL.o, not libHOpenGL.a.
>    HOpenGL.o can be made with this command:
>       ld -r -o HOpenGL.o */*.o
>    in the lib directory.

Well, using HOpenGL with the current GLUT toolkit interactively
doesn't make that much sense (mainLoop never returns). Anyway:
With a newer ghc-pkg, the above ld stuff could be done automatically
during the --add-package, IIRC, but I was reluctant to make the
installation process (even more :-} fragile...

>    Second, I've moved libraries from extra_ld_opts section
>    to extra_libraries section in HOpenGL.conf.

Hmmm, this doesn't work if there are options different from "-lfoo",
which is the case at my site: Configure determines that the options
"-L/usr/openwin/lib" and "-R/usr/openwin/lib" must be used here, too.

Thanks for your encouraging report!  :-)

Cheers,
   S.