[HOpenGL] HOpenGL & GHC-5.02

Sven Panne Sven_Panne@BetaResearch.de
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:20:11 +0200

> Andre W B Furtado wrote:
> [...] I still needed to use cygwin because otherwise I wouldn't have
> how to issue commands like "configure", "make depend", "make', ...

I guess you are using a HOpenGL version from a tar file and not the CVS
one. Hmmm, I don't think compiling that version is really feasible without
the GNU toolchain. But you're right, the goal should definitely be a simple
"ghc --make blahblah". I have to upgrade my box at home a little bit to
try a few things before I can say how far away the CVS version is from this
goal. Has anybody tried this lately?

Apart from that, some binary releases would wake sense, too. What platforms
exactly are the people on this list using? Currently I have access to Win98,
Intel-Linux (SuSE) and Sparc-Solaris.

> After some rearrangements, the last step ("make") gives me some warnings
> and errors concerning file GL_BinaryIO.hs, such as:
> [...]
> I think implementation of module IOExts may have changed, and the file
> GL_BinaryIO.hs deals with its older version.

Exactly.

> I would like to ask three questions then:
>
> 1. Is it worth trying to solve this problem, or will I find a lot of other
> similar problems? [...]

Some parts of the FFI have changed since the last tar ball, so there will
probably be a few problems. They can probably be solved quite easily, but
I'd recommend checking out the CVS version. It should be synch with GHC
and the libraries, at least it was 1-2 weeks ago. :-} If you give configure
the --enable-hopengl flag, the lib is built during the GHC/hslibs build
process, too.

Some small parts are still missing in the CVS version (a few state queries
mainly), but now that I have my box at home up and running again, I'll
probably work on that in the next few days.

BTW, for testing purposes it would be nice if I had some code people out
there wrote using HOpenGL. Integrating that into the CVS examples CVS would
be even nicer.

Cheers,
   S.
--
Sven Panne    Fon: +49/89/99567000    Fax: +49/89/99567461
BetaResearch GmbH,    Betastr. 1,    D-85774 Unterfoehring