[Hat] How to use Control.Monad.State?

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Nov 14 07:22:03 EST 2008

Larry,

Sorry for the delay in response - I have only just seen your messages.

I think your first approach, using a Makefile, was sound.  The only
thing missing was the specification of the package in which the module
Control.Monad.State lives.  I.e. you need to add "-package mtl" to the
compilation commands.

This is not usually necessary for a normal compilation with ghc, because
the compiler has some notion of packages that are "exposed" by default.
But when tracing, (a) hmake is unaware of which packages are exposed, so
needs them to be listed explicitly, and (b) the hat package may depend
implicitly on some packages that are not explicitly noted in its
configuration, so ghc does not know to look for them.

Regards,
    Malcolm