[Hat] problems building hat-2.05 with ghc-6.4

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Mon Apr 2 12:30:16 EDT 2007

Sebastian Fischer <sebf at informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:

> trying to build hat-2.05 with ghc-6.4 I get the following error
> during make:
>
> Observe.hs:1:0:
>      Module `Observe' is a member of package util-1.0.
>      To compile this module, please use -ignore-package util-1.0.

I am guessing that this occurs when attempting to build the module
src/hattools/Observe.hs.  Usually, the "util" package is hidden by
default in ghc-6.4.  Perhaps at some point you have exposed it using
ghc-pkg.  The easiest way to ensure Hat will build is to hide "util"
again:
    ghc-pkg-6.4 hide util-1.0

> After rerunning the configure script with
>    --buildopts="-ignore-package util-1.0"

... and remove this option from the Hat configuration.  As you inferred,
the -ignore-package option is not being parsed correctly by Hat's build
system.  (You may need to delete targets/powerpc-darwin/config.cache,
then re-run configure, to get rid of the option.)

Regards,
    Malcolm