[Hat] Failed to load interface for `Hat.PreludeBasic'

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Oct 17 07:34:34 EDT 2006

"David Morse" <dcmorse at gmail.com> wrote:

> /usr/bin/haskell-compiler   -v    -c -package hat -o
>     Hat/DoublyLinked.o Hat/DoublyLinked.hs

I wonder how /usr/bin/haskell-compiler differs from a straight ghc.

> Hat/DoublyLinked.hs:11:0:
>     Failed to load interface for `Hat.PreludeBasic':
>         Could not find module `Hat.PreludeBasic':
>           locations searched:
>             Hat/PreludeBasic.hi
>             Hat/PreludeBasic.hi-boot

It is clear that this ghc is not looking in the package directories, so
it is no wonder it does not find the Hat files.

> I have explicitly enabled hat via ghc-pkg -l lists
> "hat" not in parenthesis, so I think the package is enabled.

Sounds OK.

> "ghc-pkg: cannot find package hat" - this was before the hat package
> was enabled -- could this be the problem?

Possibly.  But I think the installer does try to remove any existing Hat
package before installing a new one, which may be the cause of the
warning, and therefore nothing to worry about.

> If so, should I more
> properly ask the package maintainers about this?

You could try asking them if they have had any positive feedback that
Hat definitely works for someone else on the same platform.

Regards,
    Malcolm