[Hat] hat-trail: attempt to read beyond end of file

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Sat Oct 14 11:55:02 EDT 2006

Barzille <barzille at googlemail.com> writes:

> http://www.nabble.com/file/3632/Insort.hat Insort.hat

Ah, yes I can reproduce the errors you saw.  As best I can tell, the
generated .hat file has machine words stored in the wrong byte-order.
This means all the internal file pointers are wrong.  They are supposed
to be stored in network (big-endian) order, but your .hat file has them
stored in little-endian order.

The likeliest cause is that your platform does not implement the C-level
htonl() and ntohl() macros/functions correctly.

Can you tell us what machine architecture and operating system you are
using?  You mentioned that installation was difficult.  What did you
need to do that was unusual?

Regards,
    Malcolm