[Hat] Program Compiles With GHC 6.6 but not Hat

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 08:27:20 EST 2006

Hi Bernie,

> I would also argue strongly against that approach.
>
> It is important that debugging tools preserve the semantics of the
> underlying program as closely as possible.

Yes, but if the alternative is to make debugging so annoying that no
one uses the debugging tool, then its probably a worthwhile trade off.
Currently I don't use Hat, as when I am ready to debug a Haskell
program (i.e. its broken) I can be pretty much 100% certain that it
won't work with Hat without several changes. At the point I am trying
to solve a complex bug, I don't want to go and do something else.

> Probably the best solution is to lobby various compiler writers to
> generalise the defaulting mechanism, but that may be easier said than
> done :)

If you came up with a concrete proposal, that was a generalisation of
the existing defaulting method, and provided an implementation for
GHC, you might have a lot more success at your attempts. (Certainly if
you implement in for Yhc, we'd accept it)

Thanks

Neil