[Hat] Problem building hat

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Jun 21 06:05:06 EDT 2006

Klaus Ostermann <ostermann at informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

> I am trying to build hat using ghc6.4.1 with windows/cygwin.
> I also tried nhc, but with the same error.
>
> Warning: package(s) base not available (according to ghc-pkg)

Interesting warning.

> Can't find module lang in user directories
>         .
>         ../compiler98
>   Or in installed libraries/packages at

The fact that no attempted location is reported for the standard
installed libraries is worrying.  It suggests that ghc-pkg is being
invoked incorrectly by hmake.  Another thing that looks wrong is that of
course there is no module 'lang' - it is a library package instead.

One suggestion is that the version of GHC is not being detected
correctly.  If the contents of the file
  targets/ix86-CYGWIN_NT-5.1/ghcsym
are not "604" (without whitespace), then this would cause at least some
of the symptoms you see.  Correcting that, (and the corresponding
variable definition for GHCSYM in
  lib/ix86-CYGWIN_NT-5.1/config
) might be enough to get you further.

> P.S.: It would be great if you could add binaries to your download section

If a Windows user will create them, we will gladly host them for
download.

Regards,
    Malcolm