[Hat] Hat-Gui, new tool

Olaf Chitil O.Chitil at kent.ac.uk
Fri Jul 7 14:14:29 EDT 2006

I wonder why w-hat doesn't use the standard Hat library. I see your point.

On the other hand, if you combine several tools and each tries to open
the file you also run into problems. Most tools are interactive anyway,
so they will need an initialisation and then several access functions.

I suppose it would have been better if the standard Hat library used a
kind of handle for the trace. So you would first need to get the handle,
like for a file. It would also allow processing several trace files at
once (maybe rarely necessary). A handle would turn the trace into a
normal abstract data type, not a single abstract value that needs
magical initialisation.

So no clear winner, maybe adding more tools to your GUI you want to
revisit this decision.

Ciao,
Olaf