[Hat] Re: 6.2 < 5.04?

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 16:14:49 EST 2004

> > why doesn't Hat work with GHC 6.2?
> >     Looking for ghc...   found 6.2
> >     WARNING: hat-2.02 needs a version of ghc >= 5.04.
>
> The confhc-hat script calculates the version number, which is 62 for ghc
> 6.2 and compares this to the version number of ghc 5.04, which is 504.
> Obviously, 62 is less than 504.

Yes, that is the reason why the configure script fails, and Olli's
patch will get you past this stage.  However, with the hat-2.02
distribution you will encounter many more small incompatibilities
with ghc-6.2, which may prevent you from building successfully.

Various packagers (e.g. debian) have already worked around all of
these minor problems for ghc-6.2, and indeed the CVS repository also
contains these necessary fixes.  We hope to release a new version,
hat-2.04, in the near future to address the issue, but of course
there are various other enhancements we would like to add too, and
polishing those takes time.  In the meantime, I suggest you take one
of the following courses of action:

    * downgrade ghc to 5.04.3
    * or use a pre-packaged distribution for ghc-6.2 (e.g. debian)
    * or build from the anonymous CVS archive at cvs.haskell.org

Regards,
    Malcolm