Haddock 2.0.0.0 Bug: Doesn't Like {;}-Style Code

David Waern davve at dtek.chalmers.se
Wed May 14 07:42:05 EDT 2008

> I wrote:
>> Try running haddock on this:
>>
>> module HaddockBug where
>> {
>> -- |The 'square' function squares an integer.
>> square :: Int -> Int;
>> square x = x * x;
>> }
>>
>> $ haddock -B /usr/lib/ghc-6.8.2/ HaddockBug.hs
>>
>> HaddockBug.hs:4:0: parse error on input `square'
>> haddock: Failed to load all needed modules
>>
>> It works fine if you remove the haddock comment...
>
> I discovered a work-around: put a semicolon after the haddock comment.
>
> module HaddockBug where
> {
> -- |The 'square' function squares an integer.
> ;
> square :: Int -> Int;
> square x = x * x;
> }
>
> --
> Ashley Yakeley
> Seattle, WA

Thanks for the report. This is a known bug though, and it's due to the
fact that Haddock comments are handled just like any other declaration in
the GHC grammar. This should be changed, so that the placement of Haddock
comments doesn't depend on layout, but I never got around to fix it during
the Summer of Code project. I will update the TODO file to include this
bug.

David