Feature request for Haddock: cross-module name reference

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Mon, 13 May 2002 18:11:59 +0100

> Another little wish for Haddock: It is currently possible to reference
> names in scope via 'foo' and modules via "bar.baz.blah". But sometimes
> it would be convenient to reference a name in another module without
> importing it just for documentation purposes. Further note that
> circularity in documentation is not uncommon. So a markup for this
> task would be very nice. I'm not sure if the name should always be
> rendered in a fully qualified way, because this tends to clutter up
> the documentation. On the other hand it would be better in printed
> (i.e. non-mouse-clickable) docs. Hmmm...
>=20
> Does this make sense?

Actually I already had this on the TODO list (perhaps not committed).
The idea I had was that if you write 'Foo.bar' and Foo.bar isn't
otherwise in scope, then Haddock just trusts you and links straight to
Foo.html#bar.  There's probably no need to fully qualify the name in the
rendered HTML, since the hyperlink will point to the right place.

The only situation in which this wouldn't work is if there's a different
Foo.bar in scope (not the one you wanted).  But I imagine this is pretty
rare...

Cheers,
	Simon