ANNOUNCE: Haddock version 0.2, a Haskell documentation tool

Sven Panne Sven_Panne@BetaResearch.de
Mon, 13 May 2002 15:24:44 +0200

Simon Marlow wrote:

> [...] when the comments were particularly long the currently layout
> mgiht be more appropriate (IMHO).

Well, I didn't suppose forcing everything on a single line.
Automatically wrapped paragraphs are more suitable:

   data Blah =     < The Blah type does blah blah blah blah
                     blah blah and is very well suited for
                     blah blah blah... >
         Foo Int   < short comment for Foo>
       | Bar Float < a little bit longer comment for Blah,
                     which extends over two lines... >

> Should it be possible to specify attributes for declarations too,
> something like
>
>     -- #tabular
>     -- | doc for the 'Blah' type
>     data Blah
>        = Foo Int  -- | doc for 'Foo'
>        | ...
>
> or maybe it should switch to the tabular form automatically when the
> comments are "small enough"?

Hmmm, probably a command-line option plus directives for explicitly
deviating from the specified default would do the job.

> [ Rendering function argument documentation ]

I'd prefer the first version, redundancy is evil IMHO.

Cheers,
   S.