Positional cues or not

malcolm-hs@cs.york.ac.uk malcolm-hs@cs.york.ac.uk
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:52:19 +0000

> > Another reason to use a distinctive document style is that comments
> > are often used to do things like block out unwanted code,

> These are always {- -}. I would use end-of-line comments for all kinds of
> documentation.

Well, I frequently use end-of-line comments for blocking out dead code.
And this often ends up in exactly the place where a documentation
comment might occur, for instance:

myFunctionF x y z =
  -- map (g . unlines . f . lines . something) (z x) -- is this wrong?
     map (f . unlines . g . lines . something) (z x)

So, on balance, it looks like we really need special doc comments so
tools don't get confused.

Regards,
    Malcolm