Positional cues or not

malcolm-hs@cs.york.ac.uk malcolm-hs@cs.york.ac.uk
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:01:24 +0000

> I don't particularly care whether the convention is {--- -} or {-# DOC #-}
> (with a slight preference for the latter, because it is consistent
> with existing conventions).

I have a distinct preference against {-# DOC #-}.  It is too visually
dense and distracting.  Besides, the simpler {- -} is a perfectly
good convention already as well.

I'm not sure whether to require the extra markup of {--- -}.  For one
thing, as Manuel pointed out, people often use -- to end of line
comments in addition to nested comments, and I think we should be
able to be flexible there.  However, if you think special markup to
distinguish documentation comments from normal comments is really
necessary, maybe a three-dash --- to end of line could serve as the
analog to {--- -}.

Regards,
    Malcolm