ready to announce?

Henrik Nilsson nilsson@cs.yale.edu
Thu, 01 Feb 2001 14:41:50 -0500

Malcolm wrote:

> Well I for one would suggest that it is better to announce the list
> first, before making decisions.  The alternative is for us to have
> a long discussion, then immediately after announcing the list, to
> have the whole discussion again, when new people disagree with all
> the decisions that have already been taken.  :-)

OK, maybe it's just as well to announce it then. What does Armin think?

Here's a first shot at an announcement:

At the recent Haskell Implementors' meeting in Cambridge, UK,
it was decided that it would be useful to have a standard for
embedded Haskell documentation. Such standards, and associated
tools for extracting and formating the documentation in various ways,
exists for other languages like Java and Eiffel and have proven to
be very useful. Some such tools also exist (and are being actively
developed) for Haskell, but there is as yet no generally agreed upon
standard for the format of the embedded documentation as such.

To address this, a mailing list has been started with the aim of
defining a standard for embedded Haskell documentation, and
possibly also related standards which would facilitate the development
of various tools making use of such documentation (formatters, source
code browsers, search tools, etc.).

We feel that it is important to involve all who might be interested
in this work at an early stage, so that as many aspects as possible
can be taken into consideration, and so that the proposal for a
standard which hopefully will emerge has a reasonable chance of
gaining widespread support.

Thus, You are hereby cordially invited to join haskelldoc@haskell.org.

<sign with the names of the current haskelldoc subscribers, for
instance>

What do you think? Is something like this good enough and what we'd
like to say?

/Henrik

--
Henrik Nilsson