[Haskell] Request for Nominations to the GHC Steering Committee

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Sun Jan 30 14:22:33 UTC 2022

Hi Joachim,

I would like to nominate myself for a spot on the GHC Steering Committee if the committee thinks it is appropriate. I have been writing Haskell programs for pretty much as long as Haskell has been around. (I started with Miranda in 1987 and tracked the Haskell reports as they became available.)

I think I have pretty good credentials in terms of conservative tendencies where Haskell is concerned being an early skeptic of type classes. (Early type classes appeared too weak to me given the complexity they were bringing but have been delighted to be proved comprehensively wrong.) I think my favourite language proposal is DerivingVia — it brings so much of what is good in Haskell together in an utterly delightful way. (Though being a past member of the ARM patent review committee I never saw anything approaching 1% of the invention in this proposal — IMHO, Turing Award have been dished out for less.)  Long story short, I like a good proposal, but it really needs to pay its way.

I am a strong believer in the GHC proposals process and tying them to language extension pragmas — it has really born tremendous fruits that could hardly have come both under the old monolithic language report regime.

I do not have a strong background in type theory — I have however dabbled in the past, writing simple HM solvers, etc., and have a grasp of the fundamentals — so my main utility will be reviewing proposals from the perspective of a non-type theorist. You might have enough of those in which case you will be looking elsewhere!

Cheers,

Chris