[Haskell] Job openings with the strats team at Standard Chartered bank - New York, London, Singapore, Hong Kong

José Pedro Magalhães dreixel at gmail.com
Mon May 21 18:53:46 UTC 2018

 Key responsibilities
Development of quantitative analytics; software engineering; software
design and architecture; overall design and implementation of a wide range
of financial software across FX, IR, commodities and credit asset classes;
team leadership.

Job description
Strats are generalist software engineers. As a Strat you will be involved
in all of: software design; architecture specification; project management;
implementation; requirements gathering; research engineering; devops.

You will work on the trading floor, directly with traders, building
software to automate their work and improve their efficiency. The role is
highly development focused and you will use Haskell for almost all tasks:
data analysis, market data publishing, database access, web services,
desktop GUIs, large parallel tasks, quantitative models, solvers,
everything. This is a fast paced role – code you write today will be
deployed within hours to hundreds of users and has to work.

We have positions available in:

   - New York, where we're building a team and have one team member so far
   - London
   - Singapore
   - Hong Kong, where we're building a strats team to work with the
   existing risk technology team

We prefer experienced / senior developers, but extraordinary juniors will
be considered too. Demonstrated experience in typed FP (Haskell, OCaml, F#
etc) is required. We have over 4 million lines of Haskell, and our own
Haskell compiler. In this context we look for skill in typed functional
programming to capture and abstract over complex systems.

Experience writing typed APIs to external systems such as databases, web
services, pub/sub platforms is very desirable. We like working code, so if
you have Hackage or github libraries, we definitely want to see them. We
also like StackOverflow answers, academic papers, or other arenas where you
can show broad FP ability.

You have project and client management skills — you will talk to users,
understand their problems and then implement and deliver what they really
need.

The role requires physical presence on the trading floor for most of the
time; remote work is not an option. For most roles we offer a relocation
allowance if moving from abroad, and flexible working practices are
possible.

Years of Relevant Experience
MSc in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent 4+ years
experience (PhDs welcome)

Skills Summary
Haskell or other typed functional programming language (OCaml, F#);
computer science background; software design and engineering; project
management and client communication; team management for senior roles.

How to apply
If this sounds exciting to you, please email the following to strats-jobs
AT sc DOT com:

   - Your CV
   - A short motivation text
   - Location(s) interested in
   - Coding samples (preferably publicly available)

We are committed to building a culture that fosters a diverse and inclusive
environment that’s free from bias, where everyone can realise their full
potential and make a positive contribution. This is just one of our values
that is expressed in our brand promise – here for good.