[Haskell] PhD student position in the Functional Programming group at Chalmers

Mary Sheeran ms at chalmers.se
Mon May 8 21:10:47 UTC 2017

PhD student position in Functional Heterogeneous Systems

Supervisors: Mary Sheeran and Koen Claessen
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, Chalmers
ms at chalmers.se  koen at chalmers.se

Heterogeneous systems with many types of computational units (multicores,
GPUs, FPGAs ,sensors, actuators) are hard to program. The typical approach
is to use a hodge podge of different programming languages, which makes it
difficult to guarantee global properties like functional correctness and
security. This project will develop methods of programming heterogeneous
systems using a single functional program, but multiple domain specific
languages that generate code for the different computational units, as well
as the necessary linking code and protocols. A key point is the use of
Haskell's expressive type system to separate nodes based on their roles,
capabilities and locations. We will develop methods of verifying the
resulting systems using both property-based testing and formal methods.

Further Information:
http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~ms/HeterogeneousSystems.html

Deadline May 31 2017

Apply electronically here:
http://www.chalmers.se/en/about-chalmers/vacancies/?rmpage=job&rmjob=5052

The project is one of seven being advertised at Chalmers as part of the
Wallenberg project in Autonomous Systems and Software.
Choose project C7 to apply for this project.

We are looking for an accomplished functional programmer to work as a PhD
student in the Functional Programming group at Chalmers. Experience in
developing embedded domain specific languages in Haskell is an advantage
but not required. We will provide a stimulating research environment, with
lots of interesting colleagues and visitors. We can assure you that
Gothenburg is a great place to live too.

A PhD student position is salaried employment. It is limited to five years
and includes 20 per cent departmental duties, mostly teaching. The starting
salary is around 30,000SEK a month before tax. The position is intended to
start in autumn 2017 or soon afterwards. Students of all nationalities are
welcome to apply.