[Haskell] Announce: Haskell Platform 8.2.1

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 22:19:16 UTC 2017

On behalf of the Haskell Platform team, I'm happy to announce the release of

Haskell Platform 8.2.1

Now available at

https://www.haskell.org/platform/

This includes GHC 8.2.1, cabal-install 2.0.0.0, and stack 1.5.1, all
with many bugfixes and improvements since the last platform release.

A full list of contents is available at
https://www.haskell.org/platform/contents.html

Thanks to all the contributors to this release, thanks to all the
package and tool maintainers and authors, and a big thanks to the GHC
team for all their hard work.

Due to GHC bug #14081 (https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/14081),
we do not have Win32 builds in this release. We anticipate resuming
support for Win32 once the current issues with GHC on Win32 are fixed
in the next release.

A list of new GHC changes is available at:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/blog/ghc-8.2.11-released

A list of cabal changes is available at:
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/cabal-install-2.0.0.0/changelog

(note the support for the Backpack module system, as described at:
https://github.com/ezyang/ghc-proposals/blob/backpack/proposals/0000-backpack.rst)

The cabal documentation page is at:
https://cabal.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

A list of stack changes is at:
https://docs.haskellstack.org/en/stable/ChangeLog/

The stack documentation page is at:
https://docs.haskellstack.org/en/stable/README/

Happy Haskell Hacking all,
Gershom

(Note -- one feature we still have not implemented yet for the platform but
would like to is a generic linux installer that allows one to set a
custom location and does not require root. Anyone who would like to
volunteer to help with this, please get in touch!)