[Haskell] [ANN] HyperHaskell -- the strongly hyped Haskell interpreter

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Mon Oct 17 13:27:19 UTC 2016

Dear all,

it is my pleasure to announce the first release of

                HyperHaskell
   the strongly hyped Haskell interpreter

version 0.1.0.0 ! It is open source and available on Github, where you
can also find screenshots and further information about installation:

   https://github.com/HeinrichApfelmus/hyper-haskell

HyperHaskell is a graphical Haskell interpreter (REPL), not unlike GHCi,
but hopefully more awesome. You use worksheets to enter expressions and
evaluate them. Results are displayed using HTML.

HyperHaskell is cross-platform and should run on Linux, Mac and Windows.
That said, the binary distribution is currently only built for Mac. Help
is appreciated!

This is a very first release. Basic features are working, but there is
plenty of room to grow. Please send me any feedback, suggestions, bug
reports, contributions ... that you might have!

The long term goal of HyperHaskell is to break the boundaries between
textual programming ("verbal language") and visual input ("nonverbal
language"). This includes graphical output, but also editing code while
it's running ("live coding", planned) and interactive output (e.g.
"tangible values", planned). This territory is still largely uncharted
from a purely functional perspective, probably due to a lack of easily
installed graphical facilities. It is my hope that HyperHaskell may
provide a common ground for exploration and experimentation in this
direction.

Related projects that I know of:

* IHaskell        - https://github.com/gibiansky/IHaskell
* Haskell for Mac - http://haskellformac.com/

Unfortunately, the first has a reputation for being difficult to
install, and the second is partially proprietary and Mac only. Hence
this new effort.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--