[Haskell] PhD/Postdoc Position at U Tübingen (Germany)

Torsten Grust torsten.grust at uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Nov 7 12:58:48 UTC 2016

[ Dear Haskell folks, while the job posting below may sound somewhat
  ``databasey'', our group performs most of its research in the trenches
  between the PL and DB worlds.  We largely perceive query formulation,
  translation, and optimization as functional programming activities.  We
  collaborate with PLers, among them Klaus Ostermann whose office is just
  below mine (he could hear me stomping on the floor right now, I guess).

  Haskell definitely is our research vehicle of choice. Database-Supported
  Haskell (Hackage: DSH) and our work on bringing back monad comprehensions
  into GHC are testament to this.  Please consider joining us!

  Cheers, Torsten
]

Starting Januar 2017, the DATABASE SYSTEMS Chair (Prof. Dr. Torsten
Grust) at the Wilhelm-Schickard-Institute for Computer Science of
University of Tuebingen (Germany), has a vacant position for a

                      RESEARCH ASSISTANT.

We encourage both, university graduates and Postdocs, to apply.

= RESEARCH & TEACHING =

Our team currently performs research in the following areas:

 - the interplay of database technology and various aspects of
   programming languages,
 - the compilation and optimization of (new) database languages,
 - the derivation of data provenance for (very) complex queries, and
 - the design and implementation of debuggers for declarative query
   languages.

It is a principle of our work to construct systems (see db.inf.uni-
tuebingen.de/research.html) that make our ideas tangible and assessable.
The chair's research contributions are recognized internationally and
more often than not are the fruit of collaboration with associated
research groups.

Our teaching activities embrace the classical topics of database
technology as well as Computer Science, both at undergraduate and
graduate levels.  Whenever possible, we try to intertwine our
research and teaching activities.

= REQUIREMENTS =

We are looking forward to grow our team and welcome applications of
highly motivated candidates with an excellent university degree (in
Computer Science or a closely related field) who are willing to
support our research and teaching efforts.  We are open to proposals
for new research directions and hope that you like systems building as
much as we do.

Good knowledge of German (teaching) as well as very good knowledge
of English (research and publication) are a requirement.

= JOB DETAILS AND APPLICATION =

Successful candidates will sign a contract with the University of
Tuebingen under the current regulations applicable to employees in
Public Service (TVoeD).  You will be working in Tuebingen, the
traditional university town in the Neckar valley (Stutgart region).
Tuebingen is a beautiful and lively medieval town with a large university
population. Located in southern Germany, at the edge of the Swabian Jura
and Blackwood Forest, the surrounding country is characterized by
rolling hills, forests, river valleys, historic towns, and extensive
walking and biking trails. The quality of life is excellent.

University of Tuebingen aims at increasing the number of female
employees and thus especially welcomes applications of female
candidates.

Applications of disabled candidates will be given priority, depending on
their suitability.

Please send your complete application in PDF format via e-mail
to Prof. Dr. Torsten Grust (torsten.grust at uni-tuebingen.de).

The deadline for applications is December 9, 2016.

Inquiries with respect to this position may be directed to

  Prof. Dr. Torsten Grust
  torsten.grust at uni-tuebingen.de
  db.inf.uni-tuebingen.de/TorstenGrust.html