[Haskell] Haskell Summer of Code

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 05:58:32 UTC 2016

I'm sorry to announce that this year haskell.org was not accepted for the
2016 Google Summer of Code.

There has been a lot of turnover over the last 3 years as they have rotated
in and out new organizations, including many that have been in the program
as long as us, so while this isn't entirely unexpected, it is
disheartening. As this comes on the tail of our most successful year in the
program, the news was particularly devastating to all involved.

We do not expect this to be a permanent condition. Many organizations
rotate back in and out of the Summer of Code each year.

Operationally, this raises two main concerns:

The first is that there will be a rather sharp dip in income for the next
year for haskell.org. Last year's GSoC accounted for $9500 worth of income
towards managing servers and the like, but we will not receive such a
booster shot this year.

The second is that we absolutely do not want the infrastructure we have in
place around the Summer of Code to fall away. We had 50 mentors register
last year!

To address both of these concerns, we are exploring running our own
self-funded *Haskell Summer of Code *this year*. *In December, we
incorporated haskell.org as a 501(c)(3) non-profit. This now enables us to
pay for work directly. We should be able to fund at least one slot out of
pocket from existing haskell.org funds and fund additional slots with
donations.

https://wiki.haskell.org/Donate_to_Haskell.org

More information will be forthcoming as we work out the details.

Please feel free to contact me if you think you can help or if you have any
questions or concerns.

-Edward Kmett