[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: call-haskell-from-anything 1.0

Niklas Hambüchen mail at nh2.me
Sun Jan 31 03:30:27 UTC 2016

Heya,

I'm happy to announce a new release of call-haskell-from-anything [1],
my library for FFI-via-serialisation that allows to easily call Haskell
functions from any other language that can open shared object files
(`.so` via `dlopen()`) and has a MessagePack library available.

This is almost all programming languages; for examples for Python and
Ruby see [2].

The FFI-via-serialisation approach makes it possible to export most
functions to other languages "for free": no FFI type unpacking
boilerplate, everything that has a MessagePack instance (much easier to
write than `Storable` instances) will do.

For example if you have a function

  chooseMax :: [Int] -> Int

all you have do to make it callable is

  foreign export ccall chooseMax_export :: CString -> IO CString
  chooseMax_export = export chooseMax

Version 1.0 uses closed type families to remove the restriction that so
far, pure functions has to be wrapped into the Identity monad to be
exported:

  a -> b -> ... -> Identity r

With 1.0, this is no longer necessary. You can now export any function
of type

to be called from your favourite Haskell contender languages (of course
those have no chance ...).

Cheers,
Niklas

[1]: https://hackage.haskell.org/package/call-haskell-from-anything-1.0.0.0