[Haskell] Summer of Haskell - Now Accepting Applications!

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 21:10:04 UTC 2016

(Note: I am posting this on behalf of Edward Kmett who has spotty
availability at the moment)

We've posted an official Summer of Haskell website:

https://summer.haskell.org/

It contains the full timeline for the program this summer, and most
importantly, a form for submitting student applications, also linked
here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JLIa58u7AcWN31bH_LcCBujN9uzAwfd3HxrT32qz9_g/viewform

The student application period ends next Friday, May 6.

Last year we had a very successful project brainstorming thread. This
led to our largest and most successful Summer of Code, ever.

There is a thread on reddit now devoted to the purpose of further
brainstorming for this year:

https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/4gh1tu/summer_of_haskell_now_accepting_applications/

If you have a proposal that you think a student could make a good dent
in over the course of a summer, especially one with broad impact on
the community, please feel free to discuss it there.

If you are a potential student, please feel free to skim the proposals
for ideas, or put forth ones of your own!

If you are a potential mentor, please feel free to comment on
proposals that interest you, put forth ideas looking for students and
express your interest, to help us pair up potential students with
potential mentors.

Ultimately, the project proposals that are submitted get written by
students, but if we can give a good sense of direction for what the
community wants out of the summer, we can improve the quality of
proposals, and we can recruit good mentors to work with good students
on good projects.

Resources:

We have a wiki on https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ It is,
of course, a Wiki, so if you see something out of order, take a whack
at fixing it.

We have an active #haskell-gsoc channel on irc.freenode.net that we
run throughout the summer. Potential mentors and students alike are
welcome.

We have a Trac full of suggested Google Summer of Code proposals both
current and from years past, but it could use a whole lot of eyeballs
and an infusion of fresh ideas:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/report/1

Many of our best proposals in years have come from lists of project
suggestions that others have blogged about. Many of our best students
decided to join the summer of code based on these posts. The Trac
isn't the only source of information on interesting projects, and I'd
encourage folks to continue posting their ideas.

If you or your employer would be interested in helping to fund
additional students, please feel free to reach out to me.

Thank you,

-Edward Kmett