[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Haskell Platform 7.10.3

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 17:10:06 UTC 2015

Haskellers, we are pleased to announce the release of

Haskell Platform 7.10.3
* * get it here: https://www.haskell.org/platform/ * *

Highlights include:

   - GHC 7.10.3

   - Major version bumps to
      - HUnit
      - OpenGL
      - OpenGLRaw
      - syb

   - Minor version bumps to
      - Cabal
      - case-insensitive
      - fgl
      - GLUT
      - GLURaw
      - primitive

Full package and version list: https://www.haskell.org/platform/contents.html

GHC release notes can be found at:
http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3/docs/html/users_guide/release-7-10-3.html

This is the first release in which I've taken over as release manager.
Thanks to Erik Rantapaa, Ben Gamari, Randy Polen and Jason Dagit for
various platform related work; thanks to Oleg Grenrus and John Wiegley
for additional testing; and thanks of course to Mark Lentczner for
developing the new streamlined HP build process that has made things
so much easier for all of us.

* Windows Notes *

The Haskell Platform on Windows now provides the MSys2 tools. These tools
are needed when installing packages that use conf-tools (generally rare).
These tools are not automatically placed onto the PATH in order avoid
troubles due to MSys2 tools which have the same name as a standard Windows
tool (e.g., echo, find, dir).

* Future Plans *

As per the November 13 email on "Haskell Platform Plans"
(https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2015-November/122171.html)
this is a modest release for ghc, and also a modest release for the
platform, to put a capstone on the 7.10 series. Coming with the 8.0
platform we'll have lots of the exciting stuff that has been long
promised, including a minimal distro without extra packages, a bundled
stack binary, and a much-improved experience for installing
build-type: configure packages (such as network) on Windows.

Issues can be reported on the github tracker:
https://github.com/haskell/haskell-platform/issues

* Known Issues *

As the platform builds were done from the tarballs lacking 7.10.3
release notes, those notes will not be present in the installed users'
guides. However, they are available online, as in the link given
above.

Happy Haskelling,
Gershom Bazerman, Haskell Platform release manager