[Haskell] [Haskell-beginners] DOOM rewritten in the Haskell programming language.

Henk-Jan van Tuyl hjgtuyl at chello.nl
Sun Dec 6 17:19:15 UTC 2015

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 16:21:15 +0100, David Blubaugh
<davidblubaugh2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> TO ALL,
> Hello My name is David Allen Blubaugh.  I am currently considering
> starting a kick-starter project in redeveloping the DOOM source code
> with the Haskell Programming language using the power of
> functional-oriented programming......
> I know that John Carmack was interested in the Haskell programming
> language and had even recreated wolfenstein 3D using the Haskell
> programming language. Does anybody have a copy of John Carmack's
> recreation of wolfenstein 3D using haskell ??? Also would anybody enjoy
> working with this project ???  What benefits would DOOM have enjoyed had
> ID software created the DOOM source code in 1993 with Haskell or some
> other functional-oriented programming language  instead of C/assembly
> programming languages ???  Thanks,
> David Allen BlubaughElectrical EngineerATR Associate

I don't know about his source code, but the Games page[0] lists:
  - hadoom
      A clone of Doom, using reactive-banana, GTK, and the "diagrams"
library.
      https://github.com/ocharles/hadoom
  - Frag
      A 3D first person shooting game
      https://wiki.haskell.org/Frag

These might be helpful.

Advantages, when developing software in Haskell, are faster development
with fewer bugs. Disadvantages are: the compiled programs are slower then
when written in C and the garbage collection of a Haskell program (when
compiled with GHC) might sometimes cause delays in screen updates.

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

[0] https://wiki.haskell.org/Games

--