[Haskell] [ANN] cabal-dev officially deprecated in favor of cabal sandboxes

Jonathan Daugherty jtd at galois.com
Tue Sep 23 22:59:39 UTC 2014

Greetings,

I'm pleased to announce (really!) that cabal-dev is being deprecated in
favor of cabal sandboxes. Cabal sandboxes have been around long enough
that it's clear that cabal-dev has served its purpose and we are left in
good hands with the newer Cabal features. As a result:

 * No further cabal-dev releases will be pushed to Hackage.

 * For the sake of at least keeping the codebase buildable for those
   depending on it, we will accept pull requests adjusting version
   bounds in the cabal file on the cabal-dev repository at

   https://github.com/creswick/cabal-dev

 * If you are still using cabal-dev, we strongly encourage you to
   migrate to sandboxes. 'cabal sandbox' is a fantastic alternative;
   migrating to it is just about as simple as

   rm -r cabal-dev && cabal sandbox init && cabal install

 * If you need assistance using 'cabal sandbox', a very good
   introduction (and cabal-dev migration guide!) can be found at

   http://coldwa.st/e/blog/2013-08-20-Cabal-sandbox.html

Huge thanks are due to the Cabal contributors who worked to implement
sandboxing support. We are all better off with having these features
moved into Cabal proper. I would also like to thank Rogan Creswick (of
Galois) and Josh Hoyt (of Twitter) who implemented cabal-dev, and of
course we received many community contributions to improve the project;
thanks to everyone!

If you depend heavily on cabal-dev and are interested in maintaining it
on your own, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks!

--
  Jonathan Daugherty
  Software Engineer