[Haskell] [ANN] haddock-2.15-0, haddock-api-2.15-0, haddock-library-1.1.1

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Sun Aug 31 13:50:28 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'd like to announce the release of Haddock 2.15.0. Before we dive in,
I'd like to announce that Haddock development has moved out of the GHC
tree and is now done against the latest compiler release. If in the past
you wanted to contribute but were intimidated by having to make sure it
works against GHC HEAD then here's your chance. Additionally, it now
should also work with GHC 7.8.2 so if for whatever reason you're forced
to use that, you can now get the latest Haddock features.

If you want to contribute then please let us know, we're understaffed!
Come chat at #haddock or send us an e-mail.

If you have been using 2.14.x, you should be good to simply ‘cabal
install haddock’.

Now the changes:

This is an API-breaking bugfix release so any tickets originally
scheduled for 2.15.0 were pushed towards 2.16. Perhaps the biggest
change is that ‘cabal install haddock’ will now only give you the
Haddock binary. To use Haddock API, please depend on ‘haddock-api’ from
now on. I have sent out an e-mail about this couple of weeks in advance
to any reverse dependencies of ‘haddock’. This is to workaround cabal's
inability to pass flags to dependencies from the cabal file.

‘haddock-library’ only got a minor bump, 1.1.0 → 1.1.1 improving its
output. The Monoid instance for DocH is gone however as it was
ill-formed to begin with.

Changes in version 2.15.0

 * Always read in prologue files as UTF8 (#286 and Cabal #1721)

 * parser: don't wrap headers in DocParagraph (#307)

 * parser: don't mangle append order for nested lists (pandoc #1346)

 * parser: preserve list ordering in certain scenarios (#313)

 * parser: update the attoparsec version used internally giving slight
   parsing performance boost.

 * Move development to be against latest GHC release and not GHC HEAD.

 * Further split up the package to separate the executable from the
   library, necessary by things like GHCJS. We now have
   ‘haddock-library’ which are the parts that don't use GHC API,
   ‘haddock-api’ which are (some of) the parts that do use GHC API and
   ‘haddock’ which merely provides the executable.

 * Export few extra functions in the API.

 * Add compatibility with GHC 7.8.2.

 * Omit unnecessary ‘forall’s (#315 and #86)

 * Remove some files which were really old or did not belong in the
   repository in the first place.

Once again, we'd love to have more people on board be it for the HTML
backend, refactoring, LaTeX/Hoogle backend, parser improvements, test
writing, new feature implementation or bug fixing. Our issue tracker[1]
is up to date if you are interested.

Thanks!

[1]: https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues

--